Tuesday, May 8, 2012

FAREWELL, CUMBERLAND FOUR.


Cumberland Four
So many memories. Yorkville's Cumberland Four Cinemas officially closed its doors as of Sunday night after having opened back in July 1981 under Famous Players, to be operated eventually by Cineplex in 2005. With the storied Four Seasons Hotel also having ceased operations recently, this can seen as the end of an Era in a corner of the City which may know a thing or two about spotting a Star.

I myself have many fond memories of the Theatre - seeing Movies which still to this day stick with me even though some of those Dates I went on there didn't, and I remember sneaking into "Double Features" with Friends when money was tight back in the day.  How could I forget about the time I got into a heated argument with my Dad while in University, taking-in a Movie there to blow-off some steam? Magically somehow by the time I got home everything was cool again.  

I saw many of my favourite Movies at the Cumberland Four including the likes of Juno, The Reader and Dreamgirls. I also recall having seen many a Celebrity there with Screenings once being held at the Venue during TIFF. My last Celebrity Spotting there was in April 2010, that being Joel Edgerton.

Rumour is that the Theatre will be transformed into a Nespresso Boutique Store.  The Switzerland-based Coffee Retailer is known for its high-end Espresso Makers and Capsules and the Location is said to be ready Fall 2013 after some remodeling.

Farewell, Cumberland Four.  Thank you for the being there.


xMRWILLW


(Photo credit: Mr. Will-W.)