Monday, November 16, 2009

REVIEW: LADY GAGA - THE FAME MONSTER


For those of you who frequent my blog, you know that my reviews are as honest as possible. I do not hand out praise where it is not due. So without wasting your time on unnecessary drivel, I will tell you with confidence that we are witnessing the rise of an international megastar. She's historic.

Lady Gaga is the most fascinating presence in pop music today and although I do have my minor annoyances with her, she has won my heart with her music alone of late. I have been going on for weeks about Lady Gaga's eight track album The Fame Monster and even though it is condensed by today's standards of an album, it is the greatest pop release of 2009. Each track is outstanding here and it is simply just a matter of how outstanding they are relative to one another. I loved her debut album The Fame. I am however, in love with The Fame Monster.

Bad Romance has the world humming along in unison right now and second single Telephone featuring Beyoncé surely will duplicate if not, surpass that first single's success. Alejandro as mentioned previously, is theatrical and over-the-top in its '90s-obsessed Ace of Base goodness. Title track Monster is reminiscent of Akon and Kardinal Offishall's recent hit Dangerous and it is undeniably infectious in its own right. The album's lone rock ballad Speechless is a refreshing break from the glossy over-production we have become accustomed to in Lady Gaga's music. Dance In The Dark admittedly is still growing on me and it is consistent with the album's theme of liberation through dancing, as is the case with Telephone and So Happy I Could Die. Teeth has a folk-bluesy sound resembling something off a KT Tunstall album; the only track to sounds out-of-place in the least bit. Nonetheless, this track does showcase her diversity as a songwriter and I can appreciate this.

1984 saw Madonna's career-defining rise to the top with her Like a Virgin album. 2009 will see something comparatively legendary in Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster. The album will be in stores via Interscope Records/Universal Music on November 24, 2009. Grade: A+

9 comments:

  1. Oh. My. God. I ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT WAIT FOR THIS - SOUNDS AMAZING!

    And no, I didn't slip and get the caps lock key - I was shouting that one on purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady Gaga is a tranny who can't sing.
    And what is up with the weird wigs?
    And s/he has no fashion sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this is an A+ album. She's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed on all counts; we have finally found the Second Coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We'll see if this compares to "Virgin", but I have a bad feeling that she should have left the monsters waiting for just a bit. GaGa backlash may not be too far away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Gaga to bits. One heck of an album. Alejandro and Monster should be out! Rarrr :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how so many reviews are praising Alejandro with Ace of Base comparisons. Those synths rinse right through you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Undisco and rcLoy for the generous feedback :') x

    ReplyDelete